When planning your project, one of the first questions that come up is, do I need an architect?
Well, we will not lie. We think that hiring an architect is preferable to try to do your drawings, but there may be times when you can manage perfectly well without one.
So how do you know which category you fit into? We have compiled a list of things to check for, before making your decision to hire or not.
First, some pointers.
Is Hiring An Architect A Legal Requirement?
The first question our team get asked a lot is whether any laws are stating that you must hire a qualified architect for your home design project.
The short answer is no, but hiring an architect will help keep your project running smoothly and also ensure things are strictly legal and above board.
This is especially the case if your conversion or home modelling requires planning permission.
In these circumstances, having an architect on board can nip a load of problems in the bud before they happen.
An architect will be experienced in helping liaise with the local planning office and advise you on what is likely to be acceptable.
Hiring an architect might make it easier for you to comply with building regs and other legal requirements, but it isn’t a legal requirement in itself.
How should I vet my architect?
Before hiring an architect for your home improvement project, you must check their credentials out in advance.
Architects are required to register with the Architects Registration Board, and it is easy to check; they are who they say they are.
Might I get away without hiring an architect for my project?
Indeed, many homeowners complete successful renovations without ever engaging the support of an architect. Sometimes, even significant remodels can be achieved without recourse to an architect.
However, it is a personal decision and what is right for one person, may not be another’s best move.
Times when you may manage fine without an architect include:
- When you have done this type of project before and know the procedure well.
- When you are somewhat experienced with remodels in general and have some knowledge of planning permission etc.
- When you trust your builder implicitly.
- When you are on a tight budget and may not be able to afford it.
- When you wish to deal with as few people as possible.
- When you have a clear vision of what you want to achieve.
When Should I Hire An Architect?
- If you are in any doubt, you should hire an architect rather than not doing so.
- If you are not confident in your abilities to plan and oversee this remodel.
- If there are any complications, for example, planning permission is required.
- If you are a little hazy about the details of what you require/ or need.
- Suppose you are inexperienced in hiring builders and remodels, especially for first-time renovators.
- When you would like someone else’s professional input.
Pros And Cons
There are pros and cons of hiring an architect. Here are the main points.
- Keeping your project on track.
- Invaluable advice on procedure.
- Great with the nitty-gritty and details that can make or break or project.
- Can help with reliable sourcing contractors.
- Architect fees add approximately 20% to your costs.
Ultimately, the decision to hire an architect is yours alone, but we think if you are unsure, then you need to!